In the Chromebook C7, I like the freeness of the BIOS, but the screen is so small, and it is difficult (but not impossible) to boot other operating systems than ChromeOS. Is there a computer that works well with free software that also has easily upgradable hardware?
Not a recent one, because I don't want it to be too expensive.
The freeness of the bios doesn't matter, though, as jxself said, proprietary blobs are loaded on power up, anyway.

I can't afford the Chromebook Pixel, but I want a computer that is capable of medium to light photo and video editing, meaning a processor and screen resolution/size that can accomadate it.

To clarify the RAM limit, I want the board to be able to address at least 4 GB of RAM.

As I said earlier, please feel free to tell me if such a computer does not exist.