One of the aims of the FSF is to "promote computer user freedom". They sponsor the GNU project, so it shouldn't surprise anyone if they sponsor another project as well.

In my opinion, Trisquel is better than gNewSense in providing a fully free operating system. While the freedom aspect certainly is just the same, Trisquel is simply newer, more up to date and has a more polished GUI (the no-bullshit classical desktop is really great!).

Also if you find a precompiled package on the internet, chances are, it's for Ubuntu. Those may sometimes be incompatible with Debian, so if you have an Ubuntu based distro, you'll be able to use more packages as a result.

Asking FSF to sponsor Trisquel is pointless imho. Trisquel is still able to sustain itself, FSF wants to promote gNewSense (because of MIPS and because it uses the word GNU twice, gNewSense GNU/Linux). If Trisquel should become endangered, I am quite sure the FSF will help us out.

I would really like to become a member, but I have no money because I have to repay a huge credit that I took for university. Next year I'll be getting a real job for full wage, so I'll be able to spare some money easily.