Heh; all of this about some "password" you don't know being needed to add nomodeset. I added nomodeset to mine with Trisquel 6 and never needed a password other than my own.

For the recod it's easy to add nomodeset and no mystery password is needed.

Step 1: Edit /etc/default/grub and add nomodeset to the line containing GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

You will probably need sudo for this and will be asked for a password but it's your own password.

Once that's done run sudo update-grub and TA DA!

Anyway, just to set the record straight that there's no mystery password required to add nomodeset to your GRUB configuration.