Wow, thank you! I actually kind of have it working via those ppas, but I took a ridiculously naive route and I expect I'll find kinks because of that. By "naive", I mean moreso than you probably think - I tried installing it and synaptic showed a list of the packages it was trying to install before it failed. I manually added all of those packages.

It looks pretty nice, and I haven't seen any legit bugs yet, but I'm guessing something's bound to show up sooner or later. And the GRUB2 background is now a debian picture for some reason...