Log of the chat I just had with an HP representative (their name has been removed).

Initial Question/Comment: Does HP restrict swapping of the Wi-Fi card for another one on any of its laptops, either in hardware or in software?
08:12:29 PM SystemSystem
Connected with Agent.
08:12:29 PM Agent
Thank you for contacting HP Home & Home Office Store Chat and welcome to our 4th of July Sale. My name is [removed]. I've read your question, so let’s get started.
08:12:39 PM Agent
Hello, Linus.
08:12:49 PM Agent
We thank you for choosing HP for your computing needs. We always make sure that you get good quality and top performing products.
08:14:55 PM Agent
I'll be more than happy to provide you the necessary information for you question today, Linus.
08:16:05 PM Agent
In regard to your question, HP does restrict any swapping or changing of any components on its computer, however,HP highly recommends contacting the HP Technical Support first, before making any changes on the hardware or software on the computer to verify the compatibility of the laptop.
08:16:55 PM Agent
I am sorry, Linus, what I mean was, HP does NOT restrict any swapping or changing of any components on its computers.
08:18:08 PM Linus
Specifically, here's what I'd like to know. After purchasing an ENVY 17t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC, I would like to swap the Wi-Fi card from a card from Atheros. Are there any software or hardware restrictions on the laptop that might make this difficult or impossible, or otherwise cause the new card not to work?
08:18:45 PM Agent
Thank you for elaborating your question, Linus.
08:19:32 PM Linus
I have been told that this is the case by other sources -- that there is no guarantee that the new card will work.
08:21:20 PM Agent
Yes, you can change the Wi-Fi card from a card to Atheros, however, there is no assurance that it will work properly. I would highly recommend contacting the HP Technical Support team once you have the laptop, to ensure that the laptop will work properly whatever component you would like to change.
08:21:36 PM AgentWilma T.
Please contact our HP Technical Support by calling 1-800-474-6836 and they can be reached 24 hours a day.

Looks really doubtful.