Well, I would not refuse to read proprietary formats but I always choose patent-unemcumbered formats when available. As for distributing the files to other people (e-mail attachments, web site, etc.), I feel it is essential to propose a patent-unemcumbered format... but, to me, it looks even better to *additionally* propose more popular formats even if patented. For instance, I think it is a good idea to distribute a podcast in Ogg Vorbis. It definitely is a better idea than only proposing MP3. However, proposing both looks the best to me: you do not help the patented formats to be popular but people with players that do not "understand" Ogg Vorbis can still listen to it.