You wouldn't need to read through all the code -- just look at the parts that use the libraries you're interested in investigating.

For example, if you want to search for instances of 'libgeo' in the source, you might try running the following inside the root of the GIMP source directory.

grep -Rl 'libgeo' *

I did this, and got no results, so I tried searching for 'geo' instead, and that gave me a bunch of results, most of which appeard to be files containing strings like 'geometry' or 'pageopacity'. But I found no instances of anything related to geo location.