I asked the Ubuntu Edge team if Canonical was now committed to free firmware for this 'crowdfunded' device after previous negative statements. In response I received this:

"Ubuntu Edge is an open device. Developers are able to tinker with the software and use our standard flashing tools to upload their own custom builds. Hopefully this answers your question. If not please don’t hesitate to email again. Thanks again for your interest and support.
Best regards,  Christine  The Ubuntu Edge Team"

My question is, have any of you looked into this device? I like the hardware concept but I'm skeptical after years of waiting for the magical day when most machines have no non-free firmware by default.

What do you think of their response? I get the impression that the firmware is replaceable but certain things will not work without proprietary software and Canonical will not be working on a free replacement firmware for those parts.

What do you all think?