GNUser said - "As for the word piracy, well, it's better to understand the meaning that the word carries when talking about content, than to make stupid jokes about ships and murders."

I (and most people I know) associate the word "pirate" as pirates on the high seas, even if used in the context of unauthorized distribution. The RIAA, MPAA, and the BSA (Business Software Alliance) intend for this to happen, to smear unathorized distribution.

The word "piracy" must have not changed too much, as there are modern-day pirates on the high seas (plundering ships, killing the crew.)