On 21/08/2013 06:17 AM, vir...@hotmail.com wrote:
I've been watching DVDs using Trisquel a whole lot lately. I'm using
Totem  (and sometimes other players) to play them back, and I've
noticed if I ever  pause or rewind, my optical drive spins down and
doesn't start back up again  until playback reaches the end of the
buffer. This causes playback to freeze  for a few seconds, and then it
jumps ahead a few seconds requiring me to  rewind to catch what I
missed. It doesn't make things unwatchable, but it  results in
not-very-good performance.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Are there settings somewhere I
can  tweak to see if I can mitigate it?

Well I use smplayer to watch videos and it has cache settings which you can increase that might help.