There's differing opinions on this. The FSF's position is that non-functional data only needs to be sharable, but some people think that all culture must be free.

Personally, I think that all culture must be free, but I don't think it's an urgent enough issue for me to refuse nonfree cultural works, and if copyright was abolished, which it should be, all nonfree cultural works would instantly become free. For me, the difference with free software is it is controlling what is happening on my computer, and I need to control my computing now. Still, I prefer free culture over nonfree culture, so e.g. Freedoom is preferred over Doom and Xonotic is preferred over AssaultCube, in an ethical sense (for the record, I do play AssaultCube, partly because I don't know of a similar free FPS with free art assets and partly because it's popular, so it's easy to play an online game of it).