On 31/08/13 05:10, erikthorsen wrote:
> That's your opinion on cloud services, and it's entirely irrelevant
> seeing as all I said was it's perfectly ok to include service setup
> in the installer.

I disagree. IMHO the service setup only be used when a person wants to
use it, not on installation. I'm not convinced that Ubuntu One or other
cloud-connector services should be encouraged. Seems like Canonical is
riding the wave of what's popular.

> And again, why do you even care? Not many people here use straight
> Ubuntu, based on this thread I would assume you don't either, and
> nobody forces anyone to sign up for Ubuntu One or any other cloud
> service for that matter.

Okay, so maybe this topic should be deleted then? Not sure why you
voiced your opinion then either.

> There's nothing "especially" bad about building databases about any
> particular group of people. Nothing bad at all when they willingly
> opt in to it.

The screenshot asks the user to create an account or "login later". It
doesn't say whether the account is required or not for Ubuntu to work.
That's a very sneaky "opt-in".

On building databases:
http://www.privacy.org.au/Resources/PAS-STH.html

It is also not necessary for building a cloud service. Firefox Sync is a
good example of what's possible with PKI (although it unfortunately
requires registration).

--
Andrew Roffey     http://andrew.roffey.org
GPG fingerprint   F9E6 E6C4 0080 85F4 0E30 B0D9 7F7B DC7F 9657 B073