As long as Putin is in power, at least, Russia will not become Western-like, in terms of a great loss of civil rights and an immense Big Brother surveillance. Putin is no "champion" of Democracy, yes. But he's also not the "devil" that the Western media portraits of him. Putin is hated by Western interests because, unlike Gorbachev, he doesn't open Russia's door to Western meddling and control, and because, unlike Yeltsin, he doesn't let the West plunder and destroy his country. And that's why the Western media always portraits such a bad image of him. The tighter control that he's been building in his country is, in good part, a response to Western destabilization attempts of Russia through Western-backed terrorist groups, fake political movements and fake NGOs, who ultimately want to destroy Russia, mostly in the same way as the countries in the West are already being destroyed, and which he has righteously being cracking down on. So, if your goal in Russia is not to fight for Western interests and merely destabilize the country, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. And, in my case, being abroad, I know that, unlike the US/UK/EU, Russia doesn't impose its will on my country, nor will I ever have to worry about Russian troops occupying my country, in my lifetime, and Russian KGB/FSB agents attempting to sabotage my legitimate political activism. To the contrary, a big help to that same "pro-Freedom" political activism, in my Western country, has come from former KGB/FSB agents and Russian media organizations.