There is a spiritual satanic portion to this too. Those drives are not easily understood by normal right thinking people. You give far too much credit to those in the conspiracy, as if they will think like you or I do, and therefore behave in ways we are familiar with. They will not. Criminals think differently, there are skewed aspects and strange blind spots in their logic and focus. Their base is different. They absolutely must give notice and leave clues, on purpose or not, of what they are up to, of who they are.

Truth is the farthest thing from comfort. The truth is very uncomfortable. But people who seek it are willing to accept the discomfort if only to know "the truth".

What truth is, and whether it is dreamed up or not, is a much larger area of debate with legitimate support and lack of evidence on both sides of many issues.

"Conspiracy theorist" is a label. It's been built to be used to shut down open debate. It may work temporarily from time to time, but it will not change the underlying facts--true or false--that are not being addressed.