I don't know if a native GNU/Linux alternative exists, but I've just found a program called LICEcap that allows you to take animated GIF screencasts. It's free software licensed under the GPL. I can't link to the site because they recommend several proprietary applications, but the url is www dot cockos dot com /licecap/. The company has a bunch of other libre products; the URL for them is www dot cockos dot com /products.php. As far as I can tell, the applications ReaPlugs and JesuSonic are proprietary and everything else is free software.

(Earlier on this forum I recommended an application, the B1 Free Archiver, that was actually non-free. Shame on me.)