Recently I read about a project called BitTunes[1], which is a P2P based music sharing platform. It is designed as a replacement for iTunes, but it seems to be proprietery, so I won't use it. Instead I use free software that plays Ogg Vorbis. For file sharing I use GNUnet, which offers support to measure the pupularity of a downloaded song using the NSE[2] subsystem. If we know the popularity of an artist we can pay him/her the cuberoot[3] of his/her popularity. I still buy CDs, sometimes I download FLAC from CD Baby. There are two remaining problems[3]: you are required to identify yourself, and you don't own a physical copy you can sell if you don't listen to the music anymore.

[1] https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/142
[2] https://gnunet.org/gnunet-nse-subsystem
[3] http://stallman.org/articles/end-war-on-sharing.html
[4] http://stallman.org/internet-music.html