"I don't know what oralfloss means by this. I imagine mbasic mode is some sort of mobile mode? In any case I doubt facebook even releases the source of all the code you run through their server. Much less give you the ability to copy or modify it."

Mbasic mode is a mode where no scripts are needed, and it is purely server-side. There's no proprietary javascript or anything of that nature. If you think server-side code is a major concern, you should stop using the internet entirely.

"I don't see how this could respect your freedom. Without further explanation I would say it does not."

This also goes for just about any website. If it's not my computer that is being used, then there is no problem. With your logic it would be bad to use just about any website on the internet.

"As far as I understand (I have never used this), facebook chat does not use XMPP. Rather, it emulates it so you can connect to it using Pidgin. This means you can only chat to other facebook users. So, it is not XMPP and not an open standard. Rather, a proprietary chat that interfaces with Pidgin through some sort of API."

IRC is a chat that runs on tons of different clients, most of which are free. Are you going to say that's a bad thing too just because you can't see what happens on every server?

"I just refuse to opt-in to "monopolistic/gated virtual community" practices."

There is a big difference between this and using proprietary software. I don't understand how you can call it "gated" just because you can't use facebook to send something to someone on a completely different client. "Monopolistic" is also a wrong term for this case because there's obviously hundreds of other different social networks as if enough haven't been mentioned in this thread already. Nobody is reliant on Facebook.

"Maybe I'm too strict about it. Who knows."

Obviously you are, because with your logic, nobody would be able to use any sort of data transfer unless they could see everything that happens server-side. That is proposterously and practially impossible.

"The result is I have very few people I can chat with. For now. I would rather dedicate my time to convincing a few of them to run a real XMPP than use fb myself. I have convinced 2 people so far. Not very good :("

I can see why.