(Having lost access to my previous e-mail account, due to a stupid error, made during my recent experiments with trying to install Trisquel, and make the nouveau driver run, on my main computer...) :P

After creating a new e-mail account on the Mail.ru service, today, and exploring its different configuration options, again - where a video conferencing software, that is part of it, can also be used - I came to know of the existence of a Free Software client (for GNU/Linux, and that one can install on his/her computer, instead of using the web-based client, on his/her webmail account) for that same video conferencing network.

Not only that, but checking it's web page, I read something about an "open protocol", that this network uses - http://mailruagent.sourceforge.net/.

(But, because where that term is used, in the description, the link just sends us to the network's main web page, in Russian, I'm left with no more information about it...)

The software, from what I can see here - http://code.google.com/p/linux-agent/downloads/list - and, here - http://code.google.com/p/frol9999-libs/downloads/list - seems to have binary packages for Debian/Ubuntu. (So, they should run on Trisquel also...) But, I can see the links to it's source code, also, on Sourceforge - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailruagent/.

I know there are already Free Software clients for video conferencing. (Although, I don't know if there's any that uses an "open protocol".) And, anti-social as I am, I don't use video conferencing software, and I have no one with whom I would like to experiment this network with... :)

But, being this network part of the most used webmail service in Russia, I suspect this network to be of a superior quality, compared to other(?) "open protocol" ones... (At least, for the people using it in Russia. Since, if it works in the same way as Skype, from what I know, it needs good P2P connections to nearby nodes...)

Anyway...

I'm just leaving here this information so that those of you, who use video conferencing, can know of the existence of this (Free Software, using an "open protocol") client, and for anyone who wants to, to experiment with this.

(If anyone does try it out, please leave here your impressions...) ;)