Draft 3: Is this too wordy? Let me know if there's anything I can lose or correct.

Toronto Police Service,

Please provide electronic criminal justice disclosure in free formats. By “free” here, I mean certain freedoms, and not price. Free formats are fully documented. Adopting free formats would make criminal justice more accessable in a few ways:

Free formats can work on any platform. Adopting free formats would address format-and-platform incompatibility. I understand that Crown counsel, defence counsel, and accused people share this interest.

Free formats are not locked to an exclusive service provider. The change would allow counsel and accused people to choose service providers, from a competitive market. Free formats would also allow for gratis service providers.

Disclosure in free formats would accommodate a more conservative approach to confidentiality. Proprietary (non-free) formats require counsel and accused people to install proprietary software. Free formats work with both proprietary and free software. The option to use free software matters. Free software licenses allow the public to audit the instructions that make up the software (whether the free software is commercial or gratis). Proprietary software is not transparent in this way. The opacity allows those who control proprietary software (not the user) to use it as a window into the contents of users' computers. The controller can cooperate with third parties.

Some proprietary formats address the first two concerns. Free formats address all three concerns.

Could you please provide electronic video disclosure in OGV, WebM, or DVD video without CSS? You can find more information about some of these free video formats here:

http://theora.org/
http://www.webmproject.org/

I would be happy to discuss how adopting free formats could help the criminal justice community, and any related specifics.