Well, there *is* a practical reason, though it might seem paranoid to some people: Proprietary software often contains malicious features, such as spyware which records your activities in secret, backdoors which can change your system at any time, and Digital Restrictions Management, which artificially restrict what you can do.

Other than that, it's more or less just principle.

But I've found that people understand the merits of freedom in computing: that everyone deserves the right to control what their computer does, and that if the users don't control the software, the software will control the users. (Actually, once, when I was telling some of my second-cousins about this, they finished what I was saying, word-for-word.) Obviously, most people will continue to use proprietary software, but convincing people to use only proprietary software is nowhere near as important as convincing people to pay attention to the freedom issue.