I installed SCIM recently because I want to type in Japanese, but SCIM caused a few strange problems.The SCIM icon on the gnome panel (the crown icon) only responds to my mouse clicks when I'm using libreoffice or Anki. It won't respond to my mouse clicks at all when I'm using other applications.

SCIM also creates a small panel on my desktop. I can move it around, but I cannot hide it. It also has a few buttons, but these buttons are generally unresponsive. They will only work properly when I'm using libreoffice or Anki.

How can I fix these problems? Did I make a mistake that I'm not aware of? Is there a way to type Japanese without installing SCIM?