A userspace driver is one that runs in user space rather than kernel space and has to be compiled as a loadable module of the kernel. The userspace driver is much easier to develop and will not crash the kernel, but I want to be able to write kernel drivers for one or two reasons. I need to be able to compile a kernel for that, and at the moment I am not sure how to install the kernel source for the kernel that I am running. I believe a driver needs more that just the kernel header files.

I am just cleaning and testing my code before publishing it because I know it will be scrutinised by programmers far more experienced than I. I would like to publish the source anonymously on a site such as this or gNewSense to ensure that it never gets taken over by a commercial entity. I can post some of the code already if you can point me to the best license text to include in the source file. The driver (and the application that uses it) is for a USB adapter for a GameCube Memory Card that is only supported under Windows I believe. I don't want to start a git project (someome else can do that) but I do want the code to remain free.