It's been an eventful day.

I backed up my home folder (which contains gigabytes of data due to my involvement with the Replicant project) and reinstalled the system. I used text mode, but this booted into a textual environment, and even after installing XFCE nothing worked.

So I reinstalled graphically, and got the system working. But the backup sure is taking a long time to do anything...and I'm concerned I might have to reinstall due to a failed attempt at installing XFCE without running sudo apt-get update.

I backed up the most important of my files in a second foolproof location, so they're okay. But I really hope the backup starts to respond.