A few months ago, I tried to use the GNU PPA,[1] but found that it broke my packages, so I removed it. Just today, I found that I actually have software updated from that repository still causing breakage. In this case, it's libidn11; the newer version being installed is stopping me from installing the development header files, which I need to compile something. Other than uninstalling and then reinstalling, because a lot of packages depend on this one, is there a way I can get this package (or better, all packages) to downgrade to whatever the highest version currently available remotely is?

[1] https://launchpad.net/~dns/+archive/gnu?field.series_filter=