I have a Notebook with 4G ram and I heard very often that the swap partition is pretty useless. If you don't agree with this (I haven't any reference and maybe I heard false claims) then please explain why. Anyway, the actual reason for thinking about it is my plan to create an encrypted partition where all my sensible data will be stored.

I *don't* want to install everything new and encrypt the whole disk. For a big part of my data I consider it the lesser evil knowing these files in the wrong hands instead of don't having access to them ever again.

But I know that an encrypted partition is no good if my swap is still in use. How can I remove it? Just removing the partition will certainly cause a lot of trouble in the system.
Is deleting the correct line from fstab erasing the partition enough?