When my computer first boots, it's using about 250 MB of memory. Then my daily backup starts automatically, making memory use soar until the backup is complete. But once it's complete, about 500 MB of memory are in use with no applications running. The system monitor reveals that the backup process is still running (can I safely end it?), but it's not using enough memory to make a difference.

On top of that, the amount of memory shown in use by the system monitor's list of processes is nowhere near the amount shown to be the total in use by the "Resources" tab.