Hi acriticalcookie,

On my old system, I couldn't get 3D acceleration but a newer kernel allowed native resolution of the display.

Try updating your kernel: http://jxself.org/linux-libre
Follow the instructions on that page to install the latest version.

This may or may not solve your issue, but it did for me.
It may also be that a newer version of the driver even will give you 3D acceleration. For me, the easiest way to achieve this was by running Parabola instead of Trisquel (which has an updated Xorg by default).

H-node has nothing on this, but this user had a problem when upgrading from Trisquel 5 to 5.5:
http://trisquel.info/en/forum/graphics-problems-after-upgrade-55
His solution, quote:
>> Manually creating xorg.conf and specifying the vesa driver solved my problem.

So these are 2 things you could try.

Setting vesa should be considered a last resort.