U.S. International with dead keys is what I would use (I've used it before), but I'm confused: the way dead keys are supposed to work is nothing shows up until the next key is pressed, which determines what is typed: if the next key is space, the accent shows up by itself, and if you press a letter the key can be used with, the appropriate accented character shows up. But the way it's behaving on my system is the keys just don't do anything at all. If I press " and then o, I should get ö, but instead I just get o. Similarly, if I type ' and then e I should get é, but I just get e. All the keys seem to be able to do is print their normal U.S. layout counterparts if AltGr is held down.