I've been a user of Final Cut Pro (FCP) since version 1; it is actually why I had original switched to that evil empire, before they were so notorious. But after dumping thousands into their software, version X made me sick. It wasn't so much because I hated it interface, but it is because I realized how little control we have. I would love to see a simple, open source platform with the same stability I found in the original FCP.

I'm currently prepping a gradual transition to open sourse, and I have been looking into a few options. First, my hopes are four basic features:

(1) To be able to make Simple Cuts and Edits
(2) To handle multi-track audio and video
(3) To handling and exporting multiple formats

and, finally,

(4) stability

I have my eyes on Openshot, Kdenlive, Pitivi, and Blender.

The newer version of Pitivi looks very promissing, but I had trouble getting it up and going on Trisquel. I also had some trouble with Openshot.

I was able to get the latest version of Kdenlive working. I was quite impressed with the ability to manage proxy files and with the simple interface. Unfortunately, it looks like development has slowed to a crawl—and some fear it may have been abandoned by the lead.

My first impression of Blender is "cumbersome." There are so many options and windows. However, once you dig in, from what I understand, it is one of the more flexible and stable.

I'm hoping to work with each of these overtime. Perhaps if we can contribute to each they may improve the access, stability and/or simplify the interfaces.