It's a shame that Daala is taking a long time because the longer it takes, the more H.265 and VP9 become standardized and they gain the majority of support. I do like that VP9 is getting a lot more support than VP8 (from your trustedreviews.com link) and aims to be open source and royalty free. There are worries that VP9 may suffer the same patent problems as VP8.

For audio, I really like Opus and it feels like the true successor to Ogg Vorbis. Firefox has supported it for a while and while it has taken Google some time to support it, Chrome/Chromium 33 does seem to support it out of the box I still find it odd that recent versions of Internet Explorer do not support it as they own Skype and Opus uses SILK for the lower bitrates.