I won't make any comments on RTL8187 specifically, but RTL8187B, a newer version of the chipet from the same family/generation, is the best supported wireless chipset in existence. In fact I'd highly recommend it over AR9271 if you need something which you can expect to work near 100% of the time under any and all conditions (other than speed). Where AR9271 adapters don't always work the RTL8187B ones do. There is no firmware and support has existed for years. Now there are some adapters with this chipset that may not be as good. That's possible. In any event I'd highly recommend the adapter in our catalog to anybody who's looking for a basic USB wireless adapter and getting an internal adapter is not an option.