So after Pitivi released version 0.93, with "All-in-one distro-agnostic bundles", I decided to give it another go.
http://www.pitivi.org/?go=download

I unpacked a 64 bit version into a folder on my desktop. The unpacked documents/programs didn't include a Pitivi icon (still attached). After first clicking the "pitivi-0.93-beta-x86_64.md5sum" nothing happened. But the second time, the application started up!

I tried opening some XDCAM video in the program. These are wrapped in .mov files, compressed as APPLE XDCAM HD 1080p24 files. This crashed the program. I then tried opening the .mov file outside of Pitivi, and I couldn't get it to open. This included trying to import into KDENLIVE.

The good news, Pitivi is a step closer. The challenge, I need to experiment with different formats and a new workflow, i.e., to find Trisquel friendly video formats. APPLE XDCAM works well for Final Cut Pro, but it seems quite difficult in Trisquel.

Any suggestions on high quality, "edit friendly" video formats for Trisquel?