That's exactly what I've been saying all along, because of all the fragmentation, we have very smart people all working on the same thing and in turn it results in less work done as what they're all doing redundant, we have people doing jobs that are already done elsewhere.

What's more, I'm not programmer, all i can do is use the software as it's made and donate to projects that I support, but when there are 10 projects all doing essentially the same thing, just slightly different, it's hard for me to support one project, as donating makes no difference is speeding up development. At best all it does is buys a programmer somewhere a coffee. I think it would be better to support one or two programmers who could devote a lot of time to a project than 100 programmers who only get enough money for a coffee from time to time. If the community could work together, under one project and everyone donated to that one there'd be more work done.

And if the FSF would back one good OS and pitch in and help that would be even better, the community could get a lot done. But as it is now there are just too many projects, too little time and in turn the free software communities software is always outdated and only supports "the old stuff" compared to other projects with commercial backing, like Ubuntu.

Diversity is good, but being too diverse is harmful, especially for a community as small as the free software movement.