I will admit I have purchased some items I could find nowhere else on Amazon. However, I am constantly looking for alternatives. I wouldn't say Amazon is a "would be" threat, it is "a threat" to free software and to privacy world-wide.

--------
"One day, Bezos marched into Steve Kessel's office and gave an order: "I want you to proceed as if your goal is to put everyone selling physical books out of a job," he said. Kessel's role up until then had been assuaging book publishers so that they'd feel comfortable selling their used books on Amazon."
-- source: http://www.inc.com/krasny/jeff-bezos-recipe-for-disruption.html

Spyware toolbar acquired: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Toolbar

Also Amazon has been pushing hard to force them out of the market by having people send to them (and only them), new releases, exclusive products, etc.

So that being said, I found a few alternatives during my search -
There are a few places you can purchase books for bitcoin directly without using Amazon, and there are also local bookstores (though they are becoming more consolidated as well - e.g. Barnes&Noble). You'll want to make sure they are not giving into Amazon, ask them. You can also search Amazon and try to contact a seller (ensure they are not an Fulfilled-by-Amazon seller, since this simply means you're still buying from Amazon directly.). Explain to them that you are looking for store discounts and would like to purchase and have your product shipped directly to help their small business. I've seen several companies willing to do this, and sometimes you get a better deal as well.

There are also places where you can swap and trade books. This is probably the most ethical solution currently. You can use Reddit for example:
https://pay.reddit.com/r/bookexchange