Actually the GPL sin't focused on "total" (any better words?) freedom as it basically says "Don't tell the world that it's your writing since it wasn't, and don't you dare to re-release a version of this software that is not
*free* ",

while non-copyleft lincences simply say "Don't tell the world it's your writing since it's actually mine"

Free is defined by the 4 software freedoms (though I disagree with RMS in that I think freedom 0 should be "To use a programme, for any purpose *that doesn't deprive the programme's consumers from freedoms 1, 2, and 3* ")