I didn't look into the firmware for this device although am a bit skeptical it is actually 100% free. There are a lot of things that are GNU GPL licensed and not actually free due to bits of non-free software that the code is dependent on. That said it would be odd for them to release 100% of the code for the firmware of a device that appears to only work with MS Windows and is dependent on a propritary technology from Intel called WiDi. From what I gather Intel WiDi is not supported on GNU/Linux (as free software or otherwise).