The nonfree code is in src/egtb, and it's just an implementation of LZW, a standard algorithm used in GIF files. It actually used to be covered by software patents, but those expired a decade ago. There are 2 choices: either get some LZW implementation from somewhere else (you might have to make the API compatible) or write your own.

I actually replaced a nonfree implementation of RIPEMD in a debian package with my own a few weeks ago, and learned about hashing algorithms in the process. So writing your own can be quite fun, although there's no reason to do that if there's an existing API compatible implementation of LZW.