When I installed and upgraded the Trisquel 7, made on July 9, I noticed that Unity Greeter got installed. On reboot, after upgrade, I hit 'ctrl+s' and got, to my delight, a talking login dialogue. For the moment, this key seems to act as a toggle, which is as it should be. Should we make the live cd such that, if user does an accessible installation, The login greeter talks on first boot? If we don't want to do this, can we have a sound that plays to indicate when the greeter is ready? Perhaps, it's time for a new "using Trisquel with Orca" type wiki page?

Now, an observation:

When logging in with a talking session, one of my two Atom CPU cores was loaded to 99%, and the other to about 30%. A fix for this seems to be to kill all speech-dispatcher processes, and let the running orca restart only as much as it needs. Now, both cores are at 29%, according to system monitor. This is an Asus netbook with 1 GB ram and a dual-core Atom.

Best Regards,

Dave  Hunt