I'm not a lawyer so I'm definitely going to refrain from commenting on the legal aspect. I think what I was trying to say is the legalities shouldn't excuse or determine what we think.

I understand your points in any event. I don't know if they translate into the real world or not. I can imagine a lawyer making that argument in court though and it may legally excuse certain types of reverse engineering work that would otherwise be illegal.

Usually reverse engineering requires a 'clean room' environment. It may be acceptable given the license for a dirty reverse engineering project to take place under the circumstances and be totally within the law due to the license.