Interesting point of view expressed in that last link. I've not heard him speak before. To my mind there's a minor problem with his point of view. He says that the behaviour of large software based Corporations is froth rather than substance and that to focus on that is to waste time. It reminds me of one of Chomsky's talks where he says, when asked about the Boycott Israel Campaign (that seeks to force Israel economically to change its policy towards the Palestinians), that such campaigns are a waste of time and would probably, if anything, make things worse. He then cites the end of apartheid in South Africa as only having occurred when Governments began to put South Africa under sanctions. The point being avoided here is that it was individuals campaigning for an end to apartheid and individually boycotting South African products, that grew into a movement big enough to gain Government attention, that caused Governments to start applying real sanctions. Prior to individuals calling for an end to apartheid the British Government, nor the US Government for that matter, cared in the slightest about the plight of those on the rough end of apartheid. On the contrary, South Africa was subject to the British crown for some time; their legal system subject to the UK's. Much money was made in gold and diamonds and you can bet the British Establishment got a hefty slice of that cake. So, to bring it back to the point in hand, there is a spreading consciousness about Corporate behaviour - tax evasion, little if any accountability before the law, perversion of the political and media systems, privacy and surveillance, etc, and were that to be derailed into a political debate about rights then those Corporations would get to carry on with less attention and that is to their benefit. Any political debate, if it doesn't end up as an intellectual knife fight, which is what it almost certainly would do, would lead to Charters and Bills of Rights, that won't have any legal force and would, even if they did, take decades to get through the court cases and the appeals and the waiting for the legislature to define certain concepts and the retrials and the final rulings, before any of us knew where we stood. So I'm extremely suspicious of intellectuals who seem to me to be saying "look elsewhere, this is not the answer" when history shows that it is indeed the answer, or at least, the first step towards a good answer. He's right to say there needs to be a political/moral debate but, to my mind, diverting attention away from the currently coalescing centers of information control and economic power is misdirection. And that makes my alarm bells ring.