Please note that this is largely off the top of my head and I didn't test this thoroughly...

That said to install do the following:

1. During boot hold down the left shift key to get the GRUB boot menu to show

2. Press the 'e' key to edit the boot parameters. Using the cursor keys of your keyboard scroll down to the line that starts with "linux" and go to the end of that line.

3. Add the boot parameters "nomodeset xforcevesa" without the quotes. As you type, it will wrap to the next line on the screen and show a backslash character at the end of the previous line. That's fine. Press Ctrl+X or F10 to continue to boot.

After installing it the system won't boot, but you can use a live cd with chroot to fix this. Use the above directions to boot from the Trisquel live cd again.

Then from the live CD open a terminal and run:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/chroot

Then mount the partition you installed Trisquel to:

sudo mount  /dev/sda1 /mnt/chroot

Next we need to bind hardware with new chroot environment. The next commands will make sure that connected hardware works otherwise update-grub may not function properly.

Run:

sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/chroot/proc
sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/chroot/dev

Now enter the chroot environment:

sudo chroot /mnt/chroot

Assuming your not booting in UEFI mode you can put "nomodeset xforcevesa" into /etc/default/grub. To open the file for editing, run:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

locate the following line and put xforcevesa between the quotes:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset xforcevesa"

save and exit when done, then run the following for the change to take effect:

sudo update-grub

If everything worked right you should be able to reboot now and the system will boot without the 3d aceelerated graphics driver. In theory that is probably what is causing the problem between the two releases.

If anybody else has another idea as to what might be causing the problem speak up!