Oh yeah, it's definitely not a good idea, but I didn't know how else to do it. That's why I'm asking.

I need the Linux kernel for the same reason as Ubuntu and hundreds of other distributions use it: OOB functionality, of course.

Trisquel's freedom dedication is a little too much of a change at once for average users, and with the ability to toggle kernels, it can be a conscious decision seperate from the decision to take on a new OS.

As I said, I could always install another GNU/Linux distribution and it will all work fine - but that should not be necessary for only one program, the kernel. Trisquel is freedom-superior in many more ways than its free kernel, and I see no need to get rid of them.