I'm unsure what the exact objective is, but if you need something to be fairly reliable I'd stick with a 2.5" 5400 or 7200 RPM drive + USB case. If the USB part goes you can replace it and the hard disk part won't wear out like a USB flash drive does. If the hard disk part dies it'll probably be years later (if you get a decent drive anyway). If the USB part goes you can just replace the case.

I wish I had a better solution, but even doing something like a raid setup with flash drives isn't that reliable. What you end up with is having to replace one or the other flash drives frequently and the syncing of the new drive is unbearably slow.