The problem has increased to graphical artifacts on various parts of the desktop, to the point of it becoming a jumbled patchwork of image fragments. Even opening the logs caused graphical glitches and a system freeze.

In earlier versions of Trisquel, I sometimes experienced freezes as well, but those seemed to be resolved by using a proprietary video driver, or (after Trisquel started actively undermining lay users' ability to install non-free drivers), switching to VLC and/or disabling compositing.

But this time around it's far beyond nuisance level, plus there seems to be no option to modify the compositing.

I will look into the suggestions you two have made, though testing on another computer is not an option at this time.