After reading the suggestions, I tried jxself's kernel. It resulted in the ugly terminal boot screen being replaced by a nice Trisquel logo and background, but it also killed my wi-fi access again, leaving me no way to ask how to fix it.

So, I installed 6.01 instead. That's working fairly well, except for not remembering how I got my Brother HL-2270DW working the last time.

All told, I'm more or less back to where I was a few months ago, which goes to show I should have coughed up the money to order the wi-fi module back then! :D