Maybe the FSF could setup a crowdfunding effort to write free firmware for various devices. This could be interfaced with h-node. This way people could easily chip in to free software development. And firmware hackers would get employed.

I guess the feasibility of such a scheme depends on what kind of money we're talking about, I have no idea. On the other hand I believe the amount of users that would like to see a free firmware is not small. Of course not everybody has the same device so that will splinter the field a bit.