On 26.09.2014 19:23, svh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you. What if you buy an usb ar9271 device, which is not endorsed
> by fsf?

If you are absolutely sure it's AR9271 and not other chipset, while the
version of the that wifi adapter is still left unchanged, then it will
work with free software. If it isn't installed already, you can install
a free firmware.

If the tuple (device, seller) is endorsed by FSF, it means the seller
(like Tehnoetic) checked for you it works with free software. We've
automatically tested all adapters.

> Will it have non free firmware?

On Debian, the nonfree firmware is packaged, recommended and available
in an official Debian repository ("non-free").

> On tehnoetic's site it says 'you don't have to manually install the
> [free software] firmware'.

We are insisting on the free firmware. I believe Trisquel has it already
installed. If not, you can install this package for Trisquel 6
(Toutatis): open-ath9k-htc-firmware

--
Buy the freedom-respecting wifi http://tehnoetic.com/adapter