The future of GNU/Linux development is now owned by a Corporation whose biggest customer is the US military and if that doesn't make alarm bells ring, there really is very little hope.

The whole systemd thing is based on a lie - that prior to its appearance, Linux was all but unusable. We hear phrases like "spaghetti like mess of files that was sysVinit". I've been using Linux since 2002 and the first time I heard anyone dissing sysVinit was when I started reading up on systemd over the last few months. All I see is the exact same sort of spin and manipulation that's employed to swing public opinion behind whatever new and stupid policy has been thought up in the corridors of power. It's straight out of 1984. A few systemd developers start saying "we hate sysVinit, we've always hated sysVinit" and lots of people repeat it, parrot like and suddenly it's become 'the new truth'. Suddenly loads of users see sysVinit, a system they used for ages without thought or complaint, as archaic, poorly written and in need of replacement. It's called "manufacturing consent", where you learn to want to something new, that you didn't know you needed and thus didn't really need, in order to suit the agenda of someone else. I guess that mostly what is shows is that the world of Linux is considerably more compromised than previously thought and that the majority of users have been carefully programmed to not care about such things (the hostility shown towards anyone promoting libre-software is indicative of this) and so the future is not as bright as it once was. And that's the other side of this - we live in a world where the sort of underhanded Corporate tactics used to gain control of markets, to stifle competitors, etc, is so par for the course that it no longer raises shouts of anger or outrage (this is a most dangerous position to be in). And now it's being applied to us.