marioxcc0 wrote:
> I'm looking for a VPS provider which is compatible with the free
> software philosophy. If you know of a VPS provider which actively
> supports the FS philosophy (like ThinkPenguin does) or a provider
> which at least offers VPS packages for which I wouldn't be founding
> proprietary software please let me know.

I use Cinfu which accepts Bitcoin and uses "Linux" (GNU/Linux). There
are many others as well. The kernel that they use is a Linux kernel
which presumably runs non-free firmware, and some (most?) of the images
are set to use the non-free repositories by default.

I'm not familiar with many that specifically support the GNU Project
ideals, but I haven't done a lot of searching on the subject either.

One possible provider is Ninthfloor.org. They provide shell accounts,
email and web hosting, but not a full VPS. They are also funded by
donations.

Keep in mind that, no matter what the ideals of the provider are, you
can't really rely on a provider to protect your freedom anyway, because
the software is not running on your own computer. Saying that, I think
avoiding paying a company that funds proprietary software (e.g. Windows)
is a good idea.

Hope that helps.

Andrew