superdude83 wrote:
> "4. Websites that use JavaScript for 'fingerprinting' the user (also
> note that, paradoxically, not running JavaScript makes a user more
> unique)"
>

> andrew i've enjoyed reading your post and agree with you. but the
> point 4. is not true. at least not for me - tried with several
> computers.. Java script allows websites to know a lot about your
> hardware and software. Thus it makes you stick out by a complex and
> thorough diplay of many factors  of your equipment (fonts, time,
> monitor resolution, dom storage,plugins). All of these are hidden if
>  javascript is disabled.

This is all true. What I meant was that not that many users disable
JavaScript which makes those users stand out more. It's easy to test
from a server--just serve a JS file that would make an AJAX call or load
an image with a unique ID, and if it doesn't hear back then the user
probably has JS disabled.

I don't have any statistics on how many users disable JavaScript so I
don't know how much of a problem it is. Although I'd imagine a sizeable
number of Tor Browser Bundle users would disable JavaScript.

Andrew